Fish & Brewis is a traditional Newfoundland Specialty. I enjoyed this meal of fish, brewis and boiled potatoes on January 5th, 2012.
I’ll share with you the recipe:
- 4 Cakes Purity Hard Bread
- 2 lb salt cod fish
- 1 cup of salt pork (finely diced)
- Drawn Butter: 1/4 Cup Butter, 2 Med. Onions (chopped), 2 tbsp Water, 1 Cup Water (Optional)
Soak Hard Bread overnight. Use lots of water. Soak cod-fish in a separate bowl overnight. In the morning change water and cook cod-fish for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Put hard bread in saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil. Remove Hard Bread from heat and drain. Optional Add cooked flaked fish and mix if you would like what is called Fisherman’s Brewis. Keep hot. Fry pork until golden brown and crisp, serve with fish and brews.).
Drawn butter: melt butter in saucepan, add onions and fry until golden and soft. Do not brown. Sprinkle flour over mixture and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat. Stir in half water. Place on heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Beat until shiny and smooth. Slowly add remaining water, cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over fish and brewis.
My friends from Europe certainly enjoyed our traditional Newfoundland & Labrador cuisine.
Love Rural NL -Christopher C. Mitchelmore, MHA The Straits-White Bay North
- Big Fat Cod potato pancakes (stevesacooking.com)
Dissolved yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water, to which the 2 tsp. sugar has already been added.
- 2 cups luke-warm water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 pkg. raisins
- 12 cups flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp salt
- Combine 3 cups of lukewarm water, molasses and melted butter.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add raisins to dry ingredients.
- Stir dissolved yeast into molasses mixture.
- Stir flour mixture into molasses mixture and knead for 10-12 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise until it doubles in size, which will take approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- Divide dough to form into loaves.
- Place in greased loaf pans and let rise for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour. Baking time may vary.
- When you take hot bread from oven, remove from pan, grease with butter and let cool.
Enjoy Your Molasses Raisin Bread!
Christopher C. Mitchelmore
- Recipes From Grandma Pearl – Raisin Buns (liveruralnl.com)
I stand by the fact that my Grandmother Pearl is a wonderful baker. One of the enjoyable baked goods I love is a good raisin bun with a cup of tea. This makes for a quick breakfast or a nice snack at break time.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp custard powder
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
Mix all dry ingredients together except custard powder. Add to milk. Add butter to dry ingredients and beat eggs. Add to dry mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Yields approximately 2 1/2 dozen buns.
Now you have the opportunity to make your own. If you would rather purchase this traditional foodstuff, you can stop by the Gros Morne Resort Gas Bar, St. Paul’s, NL. They sell a limited selection of baked bread, buns and rolls. Six raisin buns sell for a low price of $2.99 or twelve for $5.00.