Adventurer, World Traveller, Blogger, Community Developer, Entrepreneur, Leader and Lover of All Things Rural!
Live Rural NL
Shares experiences relating to rural life and culture, with emphasis placed on my home, the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL), Canada. Our website will continue to tell stories of traditions, heritage, art, people, business and local landscapes, while promoting our travel and tourism industry.
About the Author
Christopher Mitchelmore of Green Island Cove founded Live Rural NL as a blog in 2010 out of a passion for sharing the Great Northern Peninsula and rural life in Newfoundland and Labrador with the world.
My grandfather Mitchelmore was the natural storyteller in the family. I’m doing my best to carry on his talent through this website by sharing the uniqueness of growing up and living in rural Newfoundland and Labrador.
At 16 years old, I started my own business in Flower’s Island Museum. This led to mentoring other youth to start-up small business and pursuing a business degree. These pursuits led to international work, study and travel. My love for travel has taken me to more than 70 countries, every part of Canada and all of the more than 700 communities in Newfoundland and Labrador.
In 2011, I was elected to represent the people of The Straits-White North as the youngest in the Legislative Assembly at age 25. I was re-elected in 2015 and appointed to Cabinet as Minister of Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development. I was re-elected in 2019 and announced in 2020, I would not seek re-election for public office after serving three terms.
I’m excited for new opportunities and applying my experiences, education and interests in new ways.
Volunteerism & Memberships
- Covid-19 Vaccine Clinic at Labrador Grenfell Health, Volunteer, 2021-Present
- Grenfell Health Care Foundation, Chairperson, 2021
- East Coast Trail Association, Member, 2020-Present
- Live Rural Newfoundland and Labrador Blog, 2010-Present
- Straits-St. Barbe Chronic Care Corporation, Vice-President, 2009-2011
- Nordic Economic Development Corporation, Director, 2010-2011
- Junior Achievement of Newfoundland and Labrador, Regional Chair, 2010-2011
- Canadian Community Economic Development Network, Director, 2010-2011
- Emerging Leaders, Co-Chair, 2008-2011
- Admiralty House Museum & Archives, Director, 2006-2008
Travel (visited 70+ countries, every province and territory in Canada and all
communities in Newfoundland and Labrador).
Hiking (completed hundreds of trails, including the Grand Concourse and many
sections of the East Coast Trail).