The Lingonberry in Rural Newfoundland & Labrador is referred to locally as the “Partridgeberry”.
After reviewing From Our Atlantic Woods –Non-Timber Forest Product Directory 2009-2010, a recipe supplied by Pure Labrador seemed like a delicious use of for local berries.
Apple, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with Lingonberry Vinaigrette (Serves 4)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Lingonberry Syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- Salt & Pepper (dash)
Mix all together and shake well
- Mixed baby salad greens
- 1 apple
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) crumbled blue cheese
- Spread a bed of salad greens on 4 plates
- Core and quarter the apple
- Thinly slice each quarter into 6-8 slices and place on the greens in an attractive fan
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 ml) each walnuts and blue cheese over the apple and greens
- Drizzle the Lingonberry Vinaigrette over the salads.
I am looking forward to trying this salad, which will have local wild berries. Be creative with locally grown products and start your own FOOD REVOLUTION!