- 2 seal flippers
- 1 small turnip
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 parsnip, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 ounce Newfoundland Screech
- 1/2 lb fat back pork
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- small pat of butter
- Cut all fat and slag from flippers.
- Place them in a deep dish with enough boiling water to cover.
- Add vinegar and set aside to cool, then wipe dry with paper towel and place in baking pan or large casserole dish.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Cover with sliced onions and sliced fat pork.
- Dribble Newfoundland Screech over contents.
- Cover and bake in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees F for 2 hours.
- Boil turnip, carrots and parsnip in 2 1/2 cups of water for about 20 minutes.
- When vegetables are ready, place in baking dish with flippers.
- Use vegetable water for gravy and thicken with flour.
- Make dumpling pastry and pat over flippers and vegetables.
- Cover and bake gently until pastry is done. This should take approximately 15 minutes.
Enjoy traditional seal flipper pie.
Live Rural NL –
Christopher C. Mitchelmore
- A Seal Flipper Foodstand? (liveruralnl.com)
- NL Moose Soup on Saturday (liveruralnl.com)
- Rabbit Soup on Saturday (liveruralnl.com)
- Live Rural NL retaliates against Ellen’s stance of “Stop Seal Hunting in Canada” (liveruralnl.com)