The Vinland Region of the Great Northern Peninsula has a special opportunity right now to develop a Community Tourism Plan which is profitable, sustainable over time and benefits our communities from Cook’s Harbour to Goose Cove East, as well as the greater regional economy.
The Strategic Tourism Expansion Program (STEP) has only been offered once before in NL; investment is in place to undertake STEP and boost tourism visitation and revenues in Vinland.
- Tourism in 2012 was worth $1 Billion annually to NL. Is Vinland working to earn its share?
- Gros Morne National Park attracts 150,000+ visitors annually, with L’Anse aux Meadows UNESCO site attracting close to 30,000 annual visitors. What more needs to be done to attract greater visitation throughout Vinland?
- Visitors to Vinland tend to be older, affluent and well-educated. Are our communities organized to maximize the visitor experience?
It takes regional commitment by every business and resident to build a Tourism Plan that works.
The STEPs program for Vinland is seeking your input.
Think about these questions:
1) What are the goals/ priorities of a fresh Tourism Plan for Vinland?
2) What is unique & appealing about this area for visitors?
3) What can we do to build a winning destination?
For more information please contact:
It was wonderful to see a well-represented group of regional stakeholders interested in advancing the tourism-sector in the Vinland region this past week at the Grenfell Interpretation Centre. I look forward to the outcome of this process. I encourage you to share your ideas at the email listed above.
Live Rural NL –
Christopher Mitchelmore, MHA
The Straits-White Bay North